By: Vicky Lefebvre-Vincent
Welcome to DoSo microgreens!
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Vicky, and I’m the founder of DoSo microgreens. I’m also a huge foodie and have always been interested in the agro-food field. Following this passion, I studied professional cooking at ITHQ in 2005 and then worked in the restaurant field shortly thereafter. I started growing microgreens and sprouts from home (in Montreal at the time), since I was super unsatisfied with the retail market’s lack of freshness and diversity. So I tried a few things out and, soon enough, loved what I was seeing. Friends and family started asking me for bunches of plants every week, and voilà, this project began. However, DoSo’s flagship microgreen product — MICROGARDENS — had not yet come into fruition.
This would be in 2013, when running a market test of the Val-David Christmas market. I decided to try offering microgreens directly in their planters, ready to be harvested. Things sold well, and I received some promising comments and a sizeable demand. So the microgarden became our company’s main product. During this time, I graduated from the University of Quebec – Montreal in gastronomical management and sociocultural practices. After this, I continued my studies, earning a degree in administration from HEC Montreal.
So there’s a short overview of my background, which, truth be told, is much less straight and narrow. Entrepreneurship is an amazing adventure when we dare cast our fears aside and open ourselves up to others.
The CLD des Jardins-de-Napierville contributed a lot to our takeoff, in 2015, and allowed me to take part in a program that supports independent workers. This support allowed me to put in place my business foundations before bringing in employees. Then in 2016, we qualified for the MAPAQ PROXIMITY program, which allowed us to create our brand image with G l’agence as well as our marketing plan. Finally, in 2018,we qualified for a grant to establish a Financière Agricole Canda company. Multiple partners allowed us to make the best decisions and propel our company forward.
DoSo Microgreens was legally incorporated in 2017 and became a family company in 2018.
So far, including myself, there are five of us:
- Monique Lefebvre (my mother and co-owner): production manager
- Véronique Ménard: our right-hand woman for production and sales
- Céline Naud: manager (my second brain)
- Jonathan Lucier (spouse and co-owner): our Sunday helper
- There is also Benoît Vincent (retired father and co-owner) who isn’t technically an employee but who still helps out when it comes to strategy and marketing (he worked in the agro-food industry)
- My step-parents and in-laws also helped us a lot with this undertaking. This has become a family business in every sense of the word!
- Marine Le Berre: Photographer, video maker and food stylist. Blog: Mlle Coton
- Solange Adéchian: Specialized in food research and regulations, nutritional health coach and naturopathy. You can follow her YouTube channel Sister’s healing
- Marie-Claude Boucher: Our edible flower guru and “house tester”. You can follow her on: fleurs, joie et gourmandises
- Daphné Grenier-Berthiaume: friend and trained agriculturalist, Daphné did her senior BAC project right when we started our company in 2013 to see how our methods held up to the literature.
And that’s it! This is the team behind your products.
We are happy to help put life into your dishes!
– Your micro-grower